The Akamat messenger!

Modelling is just fun!!

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Painting camo with circles: The Greek way!

When I decided to build a Bf109 F-2 in quarter scale, I had also to decide about the camo of the finished model.
So, I checked countless profiles and photos and when I saw Hans von Hahn’s airplane, I just fell in love with it! I just had to build this beauty! 


Κατασκευάζοντας το Bf 109F-2 στην 1/48 της Hasegawa, η παραλλαγή που ήθελα να πετύχω και που με είχε ιντριγκάρει ήταν η παρακάτω:












The special characteristic of this camo is the circles of RLM71 (most probably, since, as usual for WWII aircraft camos, there are many interpretations of the actual colours) painted on both sides of the fuselage, the latter painted in RLM76. But how was I to effectively paint these circles?

At first I made some attempts to airbrush them free-hand, but I found that it was not an easy task at all (the slightest shake of the hand while airbrushing, destroys the circle scheme) to paint circles with a line of 1,5mm width!
If I was to paint this camo, I had to use masking. All right, but how?
And then, all of a sudden (!) an idea came up: Probably I could use punches of different diameters to cut masks out of masking tape.
And yes, it worked just fine!


Κατά την διάρκεια της κατασκευής, επεξεργαζόμουνα και δοκίμαζα διάφορες λύσεις για να πετύχω την παραλλαγή αυτή, η οποία φαίνεται αρκετά ζόρικη εκ πρώτης όψεως.
Τελικά κατέληξα στην παρακάτω τεχνική που σας παρουσιάζω και που ίσως έχει εφαρμογή και σε άλλες περιπτώσεις:



  



I used 2 pairs of punches on masking tape, the first pair diameters were 6mm (outer) – 4.5mm (inner) and 5mm (outer) – 3.5mm (inner).

Another advantage of this technique is that, since the masking tape is flexible, the circles weren’t perfect, which is desirable, since the same applied on the real thing. Also, as a result of punching by hand and eye measuring the placing of outer and, most importantly the inner punches, the circles were not absolutely concentric and this is another point adding to realism (the original camo was hand-sprayed and no-one would expect to see perfect circles as a result).


Αρχικά, χρειαζόμουνα 2 μεγέθη κύκλων (όσο στενεύει η άτρακτος προς τα πίσω μικραίνουν και οι κύκλοι) οπότε επιλέχθηκαν 2 ζευγάρια ζουμπάδες με διαμέτρους 6mm-4,5mm & 5mm-3,5mm, οπότε τα κυκλάκια είχαν πάχος 1,5mm που μου φαινόταν σωστό για την κλίμακα.

Επάνω σε ταινία μασκαρίσματος, έκοψα πρώτα με τους μεγαλύτερους ζουμπάδες και κατόπιν με τους μικρότερους εσωτερικά των μεγάλων, με το μάτι. Έτσι οι κύκλοι δεν ήταν ομόκεντροι, ενώ η ελαστικότητα της ταινίας μασκαρίσματος βοήθησε στο να μην έχω παντού τέλειους κύκλους πράγματα επιθυμητά για την ρεαλιστικότερη απεικόνιση του pattern.



When I finally had enough circle masks ready, I airbrushed the fuselage with RLM71 Dark Green and let to dry. As a next step, I placed the masks following a random pattern and airbrushed RLM76.
When I removed the masks, the effect was very intense and with hard edges, so I airbrushed again using RLM 76 in a cloud pattern, to tone-down the contrast and to reduce the hard edges produced by the masking.



Στη συνέχεια, έβαψα την άτρακτο με RLM71, που είναι το χρώμα των δακτυλιδιών και τοποθέτησα τις μάσκες. Με μασκαρισμένα τα δακτυλίδια λοιπόν, ψέκασα με RLM76 και αφαίρεσα τις μάσκες. Σε αυτή τη φάση, η αντίθεση μεταξύ δακτυλιδιών και RLM76 ήταν πολύ μεγάλη και για τον λόγο αυτό ψέκασα από πάνω πολύ αραιωμένο RLM76 προκειμένου να μειωθεί η αντίθεση.

  

The result is very good to my eyes and I have now in my collection a Bf 109 with a really unique and rare camo!

Αυτό ήταν! 

 













0 σχόλια:

Post a Comment